Fiber optic cables consist of a bundle of glass threads (the fibers), each of which is capable of transmitting messages modulated onto light waves. Fiber optic internet uses these cables to transmit data.
Fiber optics have several advantages over traditional metal communications lines:
- Fiber optic cables have much greater bandwidth than metal cables; this means that they can carry more data so you will not see a reduction in speed when your neighbors are all online at the same time as you.
- Fiber optic cables use digital signals, the natural form of computer data, instead of electrical signals so they are not susceptible to interference from other electrical devices or radio signals.
- Fiber optic cables are much thinner and lighter than metal wires, so more fibers can be bundled into a given diameter of cable. At the same time, fiber optic cables are 4-8 times stronger than traditional metal cables making them less likely to be damaged. This means your service is much more reliable.
- No electricity is passed through optical fibers, which means that there is no fire hazard.
- Data is more secure because, unlike traditional copper wiring, it is not possible to tap into the glass line without breaking it.
- Fiber is often said to be future proof because the data is transmitted at the speed of light, so the rate of connection is only limited by the equipment rather than the fiber. This will permit substantial speed improvements by equipment upgrades long before the fiber itself must be upgraded.
Here is a list of our current residential speeds and rates:
- Residential Fiber 50/25: 50 mbps down; 25 mbps up for $59.95 a month
- Residential Fiber 100/50: 100 mbps down; 50 mbps up for $89.95 a month
- Residential Fiber 250/100: 250 mbps down; 100 mbps up for $119.95 a month
- Residential Fiber 1/500: 1 Gbps down; 500 mbps up for 199.95 a month
Other rates are available for small business and enterprise customers, all inquiries should be made at 844-752-6736.
Yes. You can change your speed at any time, based on the services offered. If this is done mid payment cycle, you would receive a prorated bill based on your new charges.
No, all of our plans include unlimited data, there are no caps or throttling.
Our fiber optic internet service is the most reliable type of internet service around because the cables are often on the same poles, or underground, with your electrical wires, you should have service if you have electricity. Typically the service is only interrupted by a break in the lines. It would only be affected by the weather if a tree limb falls and breaks the line, etc.
The first step is to fill out the survey, using the provided link at the bottom of the page. After we get enough interest in your area, we can move into the sign up phase where you would get a quote for your actual services and installation, then commit to purchasing when the service is fully available in your area. Once enough people have committed, construction will begin and your service will be connected within a couple of months.
All equipment to get the service into your home is provided by and warranted through Mainstream Fiber Networks. However, if you would like Wi-Fi or other options, you would need to purchase separate equipment, such as a wireless router, to make that possible.
Mainstream Fiber Networks will cover the cost of construction for installing the fiber cables in your zone, however you will be responsible for the cost of installation from the cable to your home.
It covers the cost of our installation technician running the cable to your home, as well as all the equipment, which includes a Network Interface Device Box (NID Box), a Wi-Fi router, and a battery backup that will provide up to 8 hours of service after power is interrupted.
The exact timeline is undetermined. We are doing our best to get people connected as quickly as possible. The best way to expedite this process is for you to get as many of your neighbors interested and excited about the service, and the easiest way to do that is to encourage them to take the survey at the link below. We are expanding into the zones that have the highest interest first.
There’s a solid chance that while your neighbor is in a connected zone, you’re still in a survey zone, which means that we are still trying to generate interest in your area before we can open up sign-ups. Please fill out our survey, located at the link at the bottom of the screen, if you haven’t yet.
Even though it might not seem far away, due to construction complications and permissions, and the way we have to create zones, we may not be able to get you connected right away. Be sure to take the survey at the link below so we know of your interest, and to see if we can get a connection to your home or business.
Quite possibly, we don’t always go by road when we construct zones, very often the zone is larger than a single road. The only requirement we have after your zone is formed is that there’s about 75% customer interest before we move forward.
The installation technician will contact you and have a quick consultation with you. After the consultation it will take about 4 weeks depending on both parties’ schedules.
Simply talk to them and encourage them to take the survey, at the end of the survey you may also elect to have one of our yard signs put in your yard, which helps increase excitement and interest.
If you would like, to go beyond that, you can apply to become a Champion after taking the survey at the bottom of the page. If you are approved, our marketing team will work hand in hand with you to help get your neighbors interested and to get fiber into your area.
You can log into our website by clicking the “check my status” link at the bottom of the page, to check the status of your zone at any time.
If you are a Champion, you can also log into your Champions “My Page,” available through the same “check my status” link at the bottom, and keep your neighbors informed and excited about your progress
Times can vary, but traditionally, within 1-3 business days.